Monday, November 03, 2008

Juan-ish

My host father, Juan, does not speak English. He does not speak Spanish either. He speaks Juan-ish, which requires special skill to translate.

Things I've learned today:
-Juan is from Ft. Leramie, Wyoming
-Juan is the 5th Beatle
-Ringo Star is not Chinese
-"Jingle Bells" actually begins "Wrinkle birds, wrinkle birds" and is properly sung to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"
-Pallea is made from Jackalope
-Amanda is from the North (New Hampshire), therefore all her family members are all penguins, and when they go to vote, they drop sardines in the ballot box.

Speaking of voting, don't forget to vote tomorrow. You'd be better off going earlier in the day then later if you want to avoid a line. Maya's boyfriend Nick (who is visiting us this week) voted early, and he said he stood in line for an hour, and this was in Orange Country. I voted absentee (mailed my ballot a couple of weeks ago, thanks for asking). The statistics-making-people are saying that in this election roughly a third of the voters have voted early or absentee, which I think is interesting.

Tomorrow night I'm planning on staying up for the election watching party, which really means getting up early on Wednesday. 7:00 in the central time zone in midnight here. So, even though the polls should be closing on the west coast at about 2 a.m. my time, I'll be stuck at school because the metro doesn't re-open until five or six. Watching returns means an all-nighter, but it's OK, pizza will be for sale.

-Ely

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wen't down to Fire Station 2 to vote just after work. I wore my Eisenhauer tie, which the election workers admired. Your name was down on the roster as having voted early.

Some months ago, there was an article in the Journal which argued that every 16 years the voters elect a nonentity who promises vaguely defined change. (Kennedy, Carter, Clinton and now Obama) It takes that long to forget the last one. We will see if the pattern holds in 2024.

Anonymous said...

Who was in the prison? Interesting story. Wish I could have been with you. Rome is truly a fascinating city.

DKS